Monday, December 12, 2005

The 9-5 grind

Yes, I've gotten myself a summer job. Selling lotto tickets. What joy. I suppose I should consider myself lucky, landing a nice retail job instead of being out in Virginia picking fruit and veg. Same as my Sunday job, except now I work 9-5 and have every other day off instead of the whole week. On the upside, I get paid more! So more money to burn (and boy have I been burning cash) and to put towards the Move Out fund. However, this means that I have to get accustomed to getting up earlier instead of later, as my days of getting up at 9-11am are gone. I miss those days. Staying up late, knowing I can have a lazy morning of doing nothing but sleeping.

Still, I can't complain, but I do have some gripes. For one thing, the clientele. I wish that there were more pretty girls and less ... middle age prunes and pensioners. And they seem to be the ones that complain the most, order things in a weird way, or have the most complicated orders. Hormones talking, I know.

Since it's getting close to Christmas, the shopgirls are all wearing hot pink shirts, and since I obviously am not a Pharmacist (it seems only the Pharmacist, the one with a pretty uni degree displayed, therefore making he/she automatically intellectually superior, and therefore below themselves to have to wear some daggy celebration of an over-commercialised holiday, I have to join in the festive cheer as well. So, searching around, one of the girls dig up a reindeer horns headband for me to wear.

Watch me cosplay Chopper from One Piece!
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

My face is real handsome, isn't it? Gaze upon a close-up of the visage that could turn even Medusa to stone!
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I now sort of know how a first-time cosplayer feels like. For the first half-hour or so after I put the horns on and started serving customers, I feel really stupid. I look stupid. And then, it sort of doesn't bother me anymore. Some of the customers come and joke about my horns (the aforementioned middle-aged prunes), and I joke back that I'm one of Santa's reindeer - Dasher. Interestingly enough, my dad is working as the Pharmacist that day, and he tries to get me to wear a Christmas cap instead (you know the one, red, white furry band around where the hat ends and your head is supposed to begin, furry ball on the end), and I decide to stick with the reindeer horns. I reason that it's because my head'll get hot under that cap (indeed, one of the shopgirls actually complains of that the next day), but I don't know, maybe on an unconscious level it's the otaku in me rejoicing in the fact that I'm cosplaying (this is slightly disturbing, since cosplay is the one otaku activity that I swore I'd never do).

Well, my results are in, and I pass half and fail half. Good thing that qualifies me for supplementary exams. However, on further inquiry, it turns out for one of the subjects that I passed the exam (barely) and failed the subject because I supposedly didn't hand in one of my practicals. Bullshit. It was handed in, had my name on it, I don't know what the hell the prac marker was doing. So I speak to the head lecturer for that subject, and then I have to contact my partner to get her to give me the prac for the lecturer to look at.

I do, arrange to meet her after work at uni, only to find out that she forgot to bring it with her. Now, here comes the funny part. She mentioned that she was working in the area of Marion that day (that's about 20-45 minutes drive from the city centre for you non-Adelaidians), so I assumed she lived around there. Lo and behold, I drive her towards Marion for about three minutes, before I find out she actually lives opposite the road to the uni campus, where I had picked her up! I am forced to drive around to get back to pretty much where I had parked to wait for her, and then park in the carpark and follow her up to her room.

I feel this is the interesting part. I come up with her to her room, and she asks me to wait a bit while she tidies up inside. I don't understand what is up with that. I don't think that she likes me, so trying to impress me or anything is out. And it's not like her room is actually that messy to start with (well, it was pretty clean when I came in, so it's not like a minute of cleaning will make anything majorly different). Maybe it's just one of those girl things. Or I'm overthinking things and

*Sigh* I definitely need to get out more.

No comments: