Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Rush

Ugh ... damn I'm tired. I've been working an extremely busy shop for the last four days, two of them from 9am to 9pm. And as I work retail, I begin more and more to grow disillusioned with it. You can't sit down, you have to stand and work uncomfortably, if your boss is an asshole, you're usually bored out of your mind between customers (especially if they decide to wait 10-20 minutes before coming in), and the customers can be VERY annoying. Since I work lottery, as you know, lots of people come in and ask for the winning numbers/ticket. This is EXTREMELY annoying, as it demonstrates the depth of stupidity some go to. Of course, they probably know that I don't, but honestly, if I did know, would I be there? I usually have to respond as such - if I did know what they were, I wouldn't be there. Next time someone asks for one, I'll ask for the maximum winning prize. Something like this:

Customer: Easipick for tonight please.
Me: Just an easpick for tonight?
Customer: Winning numbers, please.
Me: That'll be $x million dollars, thank you.
Customer: I don't have that sort of money.
Me: Well, then, I'm sorry, but you'll have to settle for a ticket with about as much chance of winning as the Intelligent Design people have of proving God exists.
Customer: ... *holds out money*
Me: Here is your non-winner easipick. Thank you, come again for your weekly gambling fixes.

Of course, the above will be edited a little, to stop customer complaints of me being rude to customers. I've had to be extra vigilant this last week, since the Sunday before, the shop got robbed. Someone snuck into the back and stole about $10,000. Needless to say, the boss was very angry, and we had the cops come in and everything. It seems that the law can't do much, and I dunno what's happening with insurance. I came in later in the week, and got told to be extra careful because someone in a santa suit robbed the lottery agent at Hollywood Plaza, and another place on the other side of town. Of course, nothing interesting happened, but we still had to be wary.

I celebrated my 20th birthday on the 20th, and it was a nice occassion - I met my high school friends again (some of whom I had not seen all year), and we got together over a barbecue. Good food, good friends, good times. Today a Christmas party was held at my place, resulting in a big mess, and two very drunk people - my dad and my uncle. They drank a whole bottle of cognac, and then started drunkenly dancing to french music. They then tried to rope my cousin's Yank relatives (come all the way from California with a group of other relatives from the US to visit my uncle), into drinking some with them. The Yanks didn't do too much, but simply sat back and laughed at my dad and uncle's antics. It was quite funny watching them get up and do a ballroom dance by themselves.

I feel sleepy now, maybe I'll wander off, drink a glass of butterscotch schapps before I hit the hay.

No comments: