Friday, May 19, 2006

Good week, bad week

What an ... interesting week it's been.

At the beginning of the week, I discover that I got a really bad mark for a recent test. Great, just great. What I needed. Still, there was some consolation in the fact that the lecturer later changed the maximum mark so that it was out of 20 instead of 22, which eased the pain somewhat.

Payday hits, and somehow, I spend almost all of my pay in roughly 5 days (damn you soaring petrol prices!) - now I have to tighten the belt for a while until payday hits again. Not to mention internet and phone bills come in ... ugh. It'll hurt less when the stuff I bought on eBay comes in. Expect another Nightbringer's stuff photoblog in future ^_^

Remarkably, on Tuesday, coming in too early for my liking (as you do if you do Biochemistry N/P 200 - 8am lecture, double ugh), I end up parking next to what looks like a crashed car. It looked really dodgy - the front was all smashed up, one of the doors was smashed open, there were children's seats in the back, empty. The glove compartment was open and had spilled its contents all over the front passenger seat, and the passenger side front door was wide open. Amazingly enough, it had been left unchanged when I returned to Victoria Drive to renew the parking on my car - everything had been virtually untouched. Most likely it had been the getaway car for some robbery committed the night before, but I hadn't heard anything about it. I check back on Wednesday and the car was gone.

Wednesday I come back from the gym (and my friend's place) and I end up losing my newly accessorised phone-strap. It was amazing how much energy I wasted looking for it. The rational part of my mind kept screaming "It's just a phone-strap! Deal with it!" but my emotional mind wouldn't let me stop until I found it. I looked everywhere that I had been, retracing my steps - the car, calling up my friend to see if it was at his place (twice), before finally discovering my phone-strap (and chibi Yakumo-chan, attached to said strap) lying in the front driveway. Meanwhile, nasty thoughts had run through my head:
What if I had dropped it on the footpath in front of my friend's place and some random dude had picked it up?
What if I hadn't found it and I found it the next morning after poor Yakumo-chan was now one with the cement driveway?
What if I got bit by a snake while searching through the high weeds in the middle of the driveway?

Thursday was something of a highlight. Feeling too lazy to waste a bus ticket trip for a one hour lecture, I instead round the Victoria Drive-Frome road area twice looking for parking before ending up parking next to the Botanic Gardens and walking up to the Hetzel building (the big new gray UniSA one on Frome road for those Adelaidians of you reading) for the lecture.
Surprise surprise (or not, since it was semi deliberate), I end up walking back down to my car with Forbidden Fruit (if you're reading this, you know who you are) and a friend of hers (I think I dawdled around a bit, hoping to catch her as she left the Hetzel building). I offered her a car ride, which she accepted, and down Frome Road we walk back to my car. We chat about various things, and somehow things turn to my girlfriend (more accurately, lack thereof).

FF: You don't have a girlfriend?
Me: No, I don't. I'd ask you, but you were taken. *Laughs*

At this point, FF looks at me for a second, seemingly astonished.

FF: That's ... direct.

And so goes the glorious confession that I had planned meticulously in my head goes up in flames. I had originally thought to wait until our last exam, and then tell her all I felt before disappearing for six months, and avoiding any awkwardness that we might have had to share for the other semester, while I'm out earning money to move out and for a trip to Japan. Surprisingly enough, there was no awkwardness, instead I continued to lament my lack of a girlfriend, while FF and her friend tried to dissuade me a little on getting a girlfriend by listing off the cons.
I drove them home, more comfortable than ever with them, before driving off to work, for some reason on an emotional high.
Maybe it's because that I've finally told her how I felt (sort of), or I got to spend more time with her outside of class and talk to her. In any case, one thing's for sure - For every Thursday until the end of lectures this semester, I'm driving to uni ^_^

No comments: