Thursday, June 01, 2006

Biotech Careers Night

Went to a biotechnology careers night yesterday (see title - I feel stupid for saying the same thing twice in as many lines now -_- ). It was pretty interesting to see the kinds of work I might be doing for honours. I wasn't originally intending on doing honours, but after finding that biotechnology is very interesting in itself, the upside was that I ran into some of my friends from third year. It was great fun ^_^

I spent the first half hour or so (after walking through absolutely nasty weather) cruising the various stands, before sitting down for a presentation. It was interesting (when I could stay awake - keynote speeches and lectures share many things - including how boring it could get. I got woken up by the sound of a mobile - my immediate neighbour's).

The best part though, was meeting up and chatting with my 3rd year friends, since I don't see them much these days. There was my friend Matt, a white boy with some of the funniest eccentricities you'll see (say schmoo to him and he'll act like the Hulk trying to restrain his anger), and my other friend Jason - Malaysian and just plain random.
And then there was my other friend, who does the biochemistry stream. I'm going to call her Toujou, because well, that's who she looked like at one point. No, not General Hideki Tojo, wartime (WWII) prime minister of Japan, but Aya Tojo, the innocent, clumsy and attractive female lead from Ichigo 100%. I am serious. We were at exams, and my friend pointed her out to me. From behind, the two are almost indistinguishable. It also happens that day she was wearing her hair tied into two pigtails - like Tojo did sometimes.
That's what made my friend like her ^_^;;

Anyways, Tojo is a pretty big otaku (in some ways bigger than me - she is very fangirlish), and from what I could infer, had really taken to getting broadband (it's been about a year since she got it - I remember asking her about what plan she was on, because I'm on the same ISP), and has what I like to call the stun-gun effect. Every so often, when you talk to her about something, she's so hyper that she'll jump up and down on the spot. It's actually quite amusing to watch.

Funny enough, Tojo was one of the two girls I tried to ask out last year. She seems to take comfort in the fact now that I'm a bigger otaku than she is, but I dunno, I think maybe she's changed her opinion of me a little. I'm beginning to wonder whether it may be time for a second round.

No comments: