Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Robbed

Australia's been knocked out of the World Cup. And in the most dishonourable, cruel way possible. A last second penalty by Totti through the net.
I am personally disgusted by such a blatant fall by Grosso - it was clearly a deliberate trip over Lucas Neill, and as such, means that the Italians retain their reputation as Olympic gold medallist divers.

The game was such a good one until it was soured by that penalty too. Back and forth across the field like a pinball (of sorts), both the Socceroos and the Azzuri making shots at goal. Granted Materazzi's red card was harsher than it should have been, the fact that referee Contalejo decided to even things up by perhaps giving the Italians a shot at goal for the supposed fall Grosso took after falling over Neill.
If the game had gone into extra time, then I am quite confident that we would have gotten through to the top 8, to play against Ukraine.

As with many Aussies around the nation, I am up in arms at this outrage. The only consolation I have is that Australia comes home showing it is a force to be reckoned with in the world game, while the Italians, winning in such dishonourable measures, will have lost the respect of (world) football afficiandos around the world.

No comments: