Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Murphy's Law

When things go wrong, hell, do they go wrong.

I've been generally feeling like shit these last couple of weeks. I've been feeling bouts of jealousy and inadequacy with other guys. I hear about them getting with girls, and I wonder - why not me? What am I doing wrong that those guys are doing right?
It's been on my mind the past couple of weeks, and only recently have I managed to get over it.

And then I find out that I am virtually broke until Tuesday because I misread a bank receipt. Knowing that I am out of money for a while always puts me in a bad mood. To compound this even further - fate has deigned to inflict on me the sore throat from hell. It wasn't so bad before, but now it's gotten so bad that I can't even drink water without sharp stabbing pains knifing through my throat.

My mum storms up to me today with my very first speeding ticket - $180 for going 13km over the speed limit while I was dashing to work. Great. Just great.

Ah well, I can only go up from this - I don't want to focus on the negative too much and set a negative vibe, but seriously - a lot of crap has been happening in the past couple of weeks to really get me down.

One thing that got me up and laughing, though, was something that happened last Saturday. I'm standing at the counter, working, and then I notice this little kid standing there. He gives me that little kid stare, you know the kind, the wordless, slack-jawed stare that they do, and then I stare right back. We get engaged in a contest of wills and manhood - you can virtually see the crackling between us as our willpowers vie with each other for supremacy. And then, like the most natural thing in the world, he slaps on the counter nothing other than ... a pregnancy test.
I immediately think "WTF what's a 6 year old kid doing with a pregnancy test?!"
I look up and breathe a sigh of relief as I see his mum. If a 6 year old kid needed a pregnancy test, then the world really was in trouble.
The interesting thing is, about 20 minutes later, I see him and his mum walking past the shop again. But this time, the kid is a little distance behind the mother, bawling his eyes out and letting the whole section of the mall know of his grievance.
Perhaps his mum gave the kid some news he didn't want - maybe he was expecting a little brother and had to give this little brother all his toys?
Haha, one can only guess.

1 comment:

Zoga50 said...

Perhaps you are looking for the wrong girl in the wrong place.