Wednesday, September 03, 2008

House, MD

What's this? Two blog posts in one month?
Yes, I have that much free time at the moment, and nothing better to do apparently.

A quick update for the dear readers ... I have come down sick. I have a nasty feeling that it started a couple of weeks ago with what appeared to be the early signs of a cold. But as I was seeing a special lady in a few days, I wanted to make sure that I was fighting fit. So, precautions - a lot of butter menthol lollies, some of those nasty strepsils- type throat lozenges, and judicious use of Vicks First Defence nasal sprays. I think it went away ... and for your information, the date went quite well ... but then it appears it might have come back with a vengeance.

On Sunday, I woke up with a nasty sore throat, and a fit of coughing. No biggie, my dad grabs some antibiotics from the dispensary at work and chucks it to me, as well as getting some Cepacol Plus throat lozenges. I spend a very fitful and feverish night half sleeping, half hacking and coughing my lungs out. I end up getting the shivers ... and it's not anything anyone should ever have to go through.
Monday, I wake up feeling like total shit. A headache, a throat like someone took an electric sander to it, body aches, and even nastier coughs. It's all I can do to stagger downstairs and pitifully beg in a hoarse and cracked voice for some medical treatment. At which point, my dad kindly brews up a concoction of honey, lemon juice, and hot water, which slides down my throat so soothingly ... and then warms up some pumpkin soup for me. However, once I get doped up on painkillers and cold and flu meds, I regain some form of functionality. I spend most of the day sitting around, reading forums and manga and going through about three pots of tea. Benadryl Night-Time cough syrup ensures I have a better night's sleep.
Tuesday ... I wake up, throat feeling like the sander was switched for a sandblaster, and coughing up blood. Lots of fun. The fun bit came at the end of the day when I had foolishly chosen not to drink as much water, and I end up with the symptoms of a hangover ... queasy stomach, and a nasty headache. It's not fair! If I wanted a hangover, I wanted to at least have that unpleasant bit balanced out with the drunken feelgood buzz you get when you start to get drunk! -_-
The fun bit came Tuesday evenning, however, when my med friend in Melbourne, Henry, decided to implement some telemedicine.
Ironically, he wrote a 4000 word essay on that very subject back in high school, and I remember making jokes about it, like 'teledeath,' where you kill yourself by licking the monitor and having the person on the other end administer fatal doses of electricity through the screen. It seemed pretty ironic that he was now practicing that on me ...
My brother got to play nurse, and I got to play the patient ... he used his mobile phone's built-in torch to shine light in my mouth, and a DS stylus to press my tongue down. The look of horror on his face when Henry told him to get a sample of my bloody phlegm was just golden.

Ugh ... going to see the doctor later today, so let's hope it's nothing too serious.

No comments: