Sunday, January 01, 2006

To 2006 - whatever it may bring

Well, now that 2006 has hit, and I've recovered somewhat from the night's antics, I feel like putting down some goals I want to work towards this year.

Last year, I resolved to do four things:

1) Gain better grades
2) Get into shape
3) Achieve financial independence
4) Get a girlfriend

Well, I managed to fulfil none of those, but I'm on the way towards them, particularly the last two. Although seemingly unrealistic, at least I'm now closer to them than I was a year ago.

This year, what do I intend to aim towards?

1) Moving out
2) Getting into shape
3) Learn Japanese

Although getting into shape and getting a girlfriend are a bit linked, I suppose. Even if they aren'y, I will look better, feel better, and then can congratulate myself on the fact that I have shed the overweight, nearly obese (for Asians, anyway) look that I have carried for the past twenty years, and step into a more fit me.

Moving out sort of entails financial independence, so the first port of call will definitely to get a job. Then, I can work casual during the first half of the year, and then switch into full time in the second half where (hopefully) I will have no uni obligations to honour. Then, hopefully my potential roommate will have also built up enough money to be able to move out as well and contribute to the cost of moving out, and then we can set off with less of a hitch.

Learning Japanese is something I have always wanted to do, especially over the past year. There are reasons for it though - I love the flowing sound of the language, and I want to learn how to read Japanese so I can read raw manga (which are often at least two to three weeks ahead of translated scans), and I can play quality Jap RPGs before they hit the US.
Case in point: Kingdom Hearts II. If I knew Japanese, it would have been on my preorder list as soon as I could put my name down for it. The same goes for Final Fantasy XII when it does come out. In addition to that, I plan to travel to Japan within the next three years, if nothing else than for a holiday, and learning japanese would be a good help in picking up nihonjin girls.
I have nothing against girls of other race, in fact, if asked to, I wouldn't mind dating a western girl, but my preference still rests firmly with Asian girls. And if that trip comes out great, then well, maybe I'll apply to JET and spend up to three years working in Japan as an assistant english teacher. Now that would be nice, and something I've always wanted to do, live in another city.

Well, now that I've set the goals, let's see how 2006 treats me.

No comments: