Monday, January 30, 2006

Chuc mung nam moi

The title is translated from Vietnamese as Happy lunar new year to all of you out there! We now move from the year of the Rooster to the year of the Dog.

Had a big do at my place last night, celebrating Lunar New Year. Everyone on my dad's side came - and one who wasn't, my cousin Michelle's boyfriend, Alan. I've seen and met him before, he's a nice guy. And when it came time to hand out the lisi (lucky money, comes in red bags. Asian readers will know what I mean), he even got some from everyone in my family. Seems like he's been accepted by the whole family. Afterwards, we gambled with a large collection of Michelle's coins, at a game we normally play on Lunar New Year.

It involves betting on which symbol one of the three dice that are rolled will turn up as, from six: a crab, a fish, a prawn, a rooster, a gourd, or money. Needless to say, my luck was about average. However, my younger cousin Albert decided to try betting all his money on one. He did that last year and won - much to our amusement. However, he wasn't so lucky this time. Alan joined in later, using all sorts of weird reasoning to bet on things. In the end it was just me and my other cousin Anh, while my brother and cousin Khoi went off to play DoTA. Lot of fun had by all.

I noticed there how "love-love" Michelle and Alan were. She'd been nicknamed "sticky-rice" and rightly so. She was so clingy! She kept hugging him and staying near him. I watch this and wonder about the remark a friend of mine had made about Asian girls being high-maintenance girlfriends.

We went out for ice-cream after dinner at the Dairy Bell, on Melbourne street near my place. Afterwards, I accompanied cousin Anh (Albert's older sister) on a trip to the Empire Pool Lounge because she wanted to see her white boyfriend, David I think his name was. Watching them, they were really love-love too ... bahh seeing too much of that.

No comments: