Friday, August 18, 2006

My precious ...

Recently, things came to a squeeze. I was given the choice of either buying the 1989 Prelude I have been driving for the past three months, or returning it. An automatic, and starting to show problems, lead me to saying no, after finding that converting it to a manual would cost more than it was worth.

So through the trading post I go, looking for a suitable car. I had been doing this for the past couple of months, mainly looking through the sports and performance cars section and circling cars I'd like to get. My first choice was a Nissan Skyline R34 GT-T, but even second hand those things are expensive ($25-$36,000AU). I spotted a Supra while driving home from work late one Thursday night, and found that I rather liked their curved, sleek design.
Unfortunately, although still cheaper, their prices are still out of my range, even though they're much easier to find than an R34 Skyline. The answer (although I didn't see it as such at the time) leaped out at me when we went out to eat at the Windmill a couple of months ago. An R33 Skyline!

Within the last couple of weeks, I went trawling through the Trading Post and online for R33 Skylines, my dad being picky eliminating all models that were white, and pre-1993, and mine eliminating all non-manual ones.
So as of Monday 14th August, I am the proud owner (sort of - it's in my mum's name) of a 1995 Nissan R33 GTS25T Skyline. That's right. It's turbo baby!

After driving it around during the week, I have come to the following conclusions:
1) It is very fun to drive.
2) Turbo-charged driving is scary (in a good way).
3) The turbo means that insurance costs you an arm and a leg, and since it's an import most insurers won't touch it.
4) It is very responsive
5) It drinks fuel like water, and only takes premium. Coupled with this, I want to make sure that it gets only the best premium fuel, meaning BP Ultimate.

Unfortunately, BP don't do discount dockets, instead doing a credit card. Oh, the lure, the lure.

As far as modifications go, I don't think I'll do too many - insurance would shoot through the roof if I put too much power into it. Maybe after I start paying for insurance myself. At the moment, all I have planned are some custom decals, and maybe a custom number plate and body kit modifications.

Some photos of my new baby to finish off.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f327/nightbringer360/Car/Unmoddoedrearangle.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f327/nightbringer360/Car/Unmoddoedrear.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f327/nightbringer360/Car/Unmoddoedfrontangle.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f327/nightbringer360/Car/Unmoddoedfront.jpg

No comments: