The powers that be took my bad exam results a lot worse than I had thought them too. Perhaps I shouldn't have tempted fate by remarking to my brother that they had been taking the news rather well. My mum stormed upstairs, demanded I hand over my laptop. I refused. She started rampaging around in my room for it, and then her eyes fell on the boxes of Gundam models that I had stashed on top of my wardrobe. That was when I lost my nerve and handed it over to her. Then my dad came home ... thank goodness I decided not to wander downstairs for anything - they would have gone off at me like a 10 megaton nuke. Not to mention now they've fallen back on the timeworn standby of taking away privileges - money, broadband, etc. For gods' sake, I'm 19 years old! I'm a little old for taking things away to have much of a positive effect on me! I have resolved to work much harder this semester after slacking off so much last semester. Although I'll probably have to repeat next year, at least it'll only be mostly semester one, leaving the second half of the year free for me to do whatever I like.
If they're going to treat me like a little kid, then I'm going to have to show them just HOW much I can act my age. They say I should act my age, I'll act my age. I'll free myself of them. Let's see how mum likes it when I buy my own groceries, cook my own meals, and then when she remarks about how it's a bother and makes you tired, smile widely. If they try to cut off my broadband, I'll start paying for it myself. They can't touch it because I'm paying for it, not them. I'll get a job, one independent of them. It might not be as cushy as the job I have now, with my parents as my boss, but at least then I won't be financially dependent on them. I'll learn bus routes so that I don't have to take their car anywhere. If they ask me if it isn't hard and difficult to do everything myself, I'll smile widely and tell them that I am dependent on them for nothing except board. And then, I'll throw my HD results in their faces and go "HA! Nothing you did had any impact on my studies! It was all me! Your confiscation of my fun did nothing, You domineering, narrow-minded, egotistical control freaks!"
Now let's hope I have the willpower and courage to follow through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment