Monday, July 04, 2005

Holidays holidays holidays

Holidays are upon us! At least here where I live. After a semester of long, gruelling lectures and practicals, it feels nice to kick back and do what I like. But still .. so much to do, so little time it seems. I have a stack of Gundam models sitting beside my desk waiting to be built, a Warhammer 40,000 Tyranid army to build and paint, and several RPGs to play: La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Disgaea, Xenosaga Episodes I and II, and Suikoden 3. I also have a pile of anime to watch: Tsukiyomi ~Moon Phase~, Tsubasa Chronicle, Turn A Gundam, Tekkaman Blade 1 & 2, Fist of the North Star, Azumanga Daioh, and Galaxy Angel season 2. *sigh* so much to do, so little time (incidentally, I love the way they stylised the 2 on the cover of the GA season 2 DVD, mocking Zeta Gundam ^_^ )

I decided to start the festivities off by watching a few episodes of Turn A. I swear, Tomino is a brilliant director. Having watched many of his other Gundam works, I have to say that Turn A is the most compelling. The mecha design is weird, especially the Gundam (honestly, a mustached Gundam? Controversial), and they do recycle mech designs for a few things, but I really like it. Yoko Kanno does the music, and is brilliant, but my favourite music composer is still Yuki Kajiura. I just love her violin and folklorish compositions, they sound beautiful. Anyways, I watched a few episodes, then decided to stop and wait until Hero-Legends finished fansubbing the entire series, so then I can have a nice Turn A marathon. I just hope they can release the last six or so episodes quickly, otherwise I'll get impatient and watch up to the current subbed episode.

So in order to keep myself busy between the weekly Gundam Seed Destiny fix and waiting for the next Turn A episode to download, I've been watching Tsukiyomi ~Moon Phase~. The subbing is proceeding at a snail's pace, with mahou releasing a new episode roughly once a month. There's a new group doing it too, here's to hoping they're faster than mahou currently is.

In between the normal activities, there are other things. I've been keeping myself busy playing La Pucelle Tactics - and after 10 hours, am still on chapter 1. Never being one for game mechanics and gameplay, I've just been having fun demolishing a whole map full of enemies in one go, setting up a huge purification chain and grinning stupidly as I rack up huge bonuses. Hopefully, I'll get bored of this soon, otherwise I'll be fighting my brother to get off playing Conker's Bad Fur Day on the Xbox so I can get on to play. It is a real bother being forced to have both game systems wired into the same TV, simply because the parents (AKA the tyrants, the supreme overlords, the powers that be) don't like having the machines set up elsewhere. On top of that, it's set up in their bedroom, and they are early sleepers. I swear, it is such a bother.

I'm also trying to squeeze in going to the gym for exercise. I am not a slim man. Rather, the opposite. My BMI claims that I'm composed of about 30% fat, and since Asian people on the BMI enter the obese category at a lower level, this makes me rather worried, since it could be higher, or more unhealthy. Therefore, I'm embarking on a special diet and a regime at the gym that will hopefully help me to shed that extra weight. Maybe it'll attract more girls too. Maybe even one! ^_^;

Well, we'll have to see how these holidays turn out. With luck, I'll be able to do almost everything I planned. And with more luck, my parents won't confiscate my PS2 on the grounds of the fact that I play it too much and am neglecting my studies. Of course, that's only a half-truth. I neglect my studies anyway, if my latest exam results (unreleased) will be anything to go by.

No comments: