Friday, January 23, 2009

EuroX Trip: Day 13.5 and 14

Gutentag from Berlin!
The keyboard here isn't too bad, they only really changed the Z and Y buttons, as well as moving the @ button and the quote buttons.

After my last entry, I went cruising around central Amsterdam with Henry. The sites were many, varied, and interesting. Down one street we walked, we saw a whole collection of green-lit 'coffeeshops' selling many things, least among them coffee. I know that you know what I am talking about.
We also walked past one shop that rather spooked Henry - it was marked 'Gay Cinema,' and it stood out rather blaringly. We ate at a nice Chinese restaurant on the edge of the Red Light District, which we found after walking down a street which had some suspicious black guys mumbling 'coke-hash-ecs' to the passersby.
I also paid a visit to the Amsterdam Sex Museum, which was as informative as it was hilarious. Any museum housing exhibitions on pornography, masturbatory aids and general sex through the ages can never get boring in my opinion.

Afterwards, we went to the Red Light District, just to check it out. True to word, there were the characterstic windows. How it works is, there are red lights on in the lamps attached to the facade and in the windows, with girls standing behind them and doing a variety of things, among them smoking, having a coffee, standing in the window, tapping on the window to get your attention, or even posing sexily. I took Henry down Bloedstraat, which was filled with blue lights, and therefore notorious for being the main thoroughfare of ladyboys and transsexuals, to see how he would react. Funnily enough, we actually saw a man emerge from one of the blue-lit windows. Absolutely hilarious.

Today, we went to Berlin. I like Berlin. It was cold, but sunny, frosty but not too cold. Lots of nice modern buildings, juxtaposed against all the old architecture. Getting to the accomodation was rather tricky, because I didn't have the house number, and I was shitting myself about finding it. We did end up finding it, though, since thankfully the woman had put a sign up on the building. Our host was this nice little old German woman, whose english was just a little bit better than my German. She thought for awhile we were actually sleeping in the same bed, since it seemed strange that it was two guys travelling alone through Europe. After overcoming a few barriers in language, we were able to get settled nicely, in a much bigger room albeit.

Berlin had bits of path and water frozen over. It was awesome. I have never seen proper frost before, and Berlin properly embodied the idea of a cold European city, although it wasn't so bad until it got dark.
I'm sitting in Alexanderplaty typing this, so we will see how things go.

No comments: