Les Mis was awesome. I can now brag that I went to see a West End musical, and having seen Les Mis, one of the longest running musicals in the West End, I can now officially say that I am Cultured. It was a fun experience, and now I want to take the opportunity to see Phantom of the Opera when it comes to Adelaide later this year. I still want to see if I can squeeze seeing Avenue Q in before I leave London purely because I want to see a live performance of 'The Internet Is For Porn.'
Today, Henry and I went to Kensington Palace. It was interesting to hear and see all the historical stuff there, and I was quite amused by the Last Debutantes exhibit. Hearing the music from the 40s and 50s made me think of and want to play Fallout 3. I might do that once I return home. The acronyms that were used as code between a debutante (aristocratic teenage girl being presented to the court) and her mother/chaperone were quite amusing - MTF (Must Touch Flesh), NSIT (Not Safe In Taxi) and VVSITPQ (Very Very Safe In Taxi, Probably Queer).
It was really interesting, and there were parts that reminded me of 19th Century court life, which brought to mind the setting of Count of Monte Cristo. I imagine it will be evoked again when I see the sights in Paris.
We stayed at Kensington Gardens a bit after, and watched the large numbers of swan, ducks and geese who live there swarm anyone with breadcrumbs willing to feed them. There was even the obligatory lonely crazy woman who feeds the birds and treats them like her babies! We went to this chain restaurant called Wagamama for lunch. I seriously wish that Australia had some cool chains like that place.
The day was topped off with a visit to Westminster Abbey, of which we took a guided tour. The guided tour was really interesting, and we were able to take in all the architecture of the abbey, and just marvel at the wonder - technical, spiritual, and architectural. The intricate carvings on the walls and the memorials to people, the tombs of kings and queens ... it really rammed home that London is an old city. We stayed for evensong, which was something of an experience. I was overwhelmed by the solemnity and holiness in the ceremony. Incidentally, I also saw something else I didn't think I'd ever see ... coin-operated toilets! Near Westminster Abey, I went to the toilet, and the nearest one charged you 50p (AU$1) to go in and use its facilities!
Tomorrow ... shopping!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment