Thursday, January 08, 2009

EuroX Trip: Day Zero

Well, I'm in Melbourne - first step of the way to Europe.

I've been planning this trip for a long time, and saving up for the past year to travel to Europe. My friend Henry signed up for an internship in Glasgow, and asked me if I wanted to go travelling Europe with him after he finished, since it'd kind of be a waste just to go to Glasgow, do the internship, and then just go home.

So I left for Melbourne last night.

My parents were admonishing to the last - they were constantly saying to me 'Be careful!' 'Don't get drunk!' 'Always travel with a friend' and other things that concerned parents do. I suppose they can't help it - their son is going off travelling on his own for the first few days of the trip before they.

It was an interesting experience flying out of Adelaide. I had a whole row of seats to myself, and ended up actually arriving early to Melbourne - at 10:55pm Melb time as opposed to 11:15pm. The funny thing was, when I left Adelaide, it was from this shiny, steel-glass-and-marble terminal, but when I landed in Melbourne, it was like a goat-shed terminal. I walked out of the plane, down and across the tarmac, and to the outdoor luggage carousel - I swear, it was like I was back in Adelaide!
Adelaide Airport was a lot like that before the renovatoins a couple of years ago - utter crap.

I took the Skybus from Melbourne Airport into the city, enjoying the ride in. It was amazing - driving into the city and seeing all the lights, twinkling like stars in a sea of velvet night. Just sitting back and watching all these lights pass by - I think I may have my first memory of this trip.
I ended up at Southern Cross station, which is really close to the Telstra Dome. I took a taxi to Henry's place in Brunswick, where I met his housemate, a cool dude named Edgar. We talked long into the night, before I settled in for my first night abroad.

No comments: