Saturday, January 10, 2009

EuroX Trip: Day 2 and 3

Oh my god, oh my god ohmigod ohmigod! Snow! Real snow!
That's right, today I come to you from an internet cafe in London.

The flight from Hong Kong seemed to a looong time - I was very glad to be off that plane, particularly the doldrums of .... economy class. I want to try travellign business sometime, especially if it's a long-haul flight.

Once I got into London, it was about 45 minutes before I got out of Heathrow. I went through customs, got my gear, and got out into the terminal. It took a long time from the debarking gate to the border office, though - about 700m or so I think, of long corridors. It was quite an experience, riding the Tube from Heathrow to my stop at South Ealing station.

It was interesting to see my surroundings as I walked through the darkened streets, walking for another 15 minutes before I got to my accomodation. Once I had gotten settled in, it was straight back out to get some phone credit for the sim card I had bought at the airport.
Shock horror, the VodafoneUK sim card I had bought didn't work when I put it into my iPhone! Stupid Vodafone shop assistants ... they told me that it would work.

I woke up this morning at about 6:30am, which was freezing cold. You know those cold winter mornings where it's so warm underneath your blanket, but your head's so cold because it's above the blanket? This was one of those mornings.

I've spent the day wandering around Ealing. I wandered into a nice French cafe for breakfast, and just went browsing and window shopping. One of the most interesting places I have been to was this place called Argo's, which was like some sort of order-buying place or something.
You're supposed to look through a catalog, and pick out what you want. You key the codes for what you want into this number pad, and then you get issued a number. You wait for your number to be called up, and you come forward and pick it up.

But my favourite experience today, has to be when I stepped out of McDonalds, and saw that it was SNOWING! Real, honest to heaven snow! It was snowing fairly lightly when I set out to do some exploring this morning, but it was snowing a lot more now! It was just an amazing experience, and walking through the snow, I just couldn't help but smile.

Already, I am thinking ... best. experience. ever.
This is definitely gonna be a fun trip, especially the boring bit, flying here, is over.

No comments: